Sandy Hook Six-Month Anniversary
Article and video of visit to Senator Manchin: http://www.theday.com/article/20130614/MEDIA0101/130619768
Join Us In Washington, D.C.
It has been six months since the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Since then, thousands of Americans have died from gun violence, the casualties grow every day, and there has been no action from Congress to pass what the majority of Americans support – universal background checks to save lives and make our communities safer.
In honor of the 26 lives lost on December 14, 2012, and the more than 4,500 lives lost since that day, Newtown Action Alliance is planning a series of events on Thursday, June 13 as follows:
- Post & Tweet In Unison
Thunderclap Crowd Sourcing Event: At 9 a.m. a coordinated Twitter/Facebook message will launch simultaneously on all participant pages/feeds. Use the Twitter hashtag: #SixMonthsNoAction
- Speak Directly To Congress
Throughout the day, a Newtown Action Alliance contingency will hand-deliver to members of Congress a list of gun violence victims and a letter signed by gun violence prevention alliance partners across the country demanding universal background checks. To have your organization sign onto these letters sign up here
- Remember The Victims
Starting at 9 a.m., there will be a “No More Names” (www.nomorenames.org) reading of all the victims lost to gun violence since 12/14. At noon, people from Newtown will read the 26 names of the children and educators lost that day.
- Human Green Ribbon of Remembrance
After the 26 names are read, all of us, wearing green, will assemble to create a powerful visual and symbolic image. Together we will stand for a moment of silence to honor all victims lost to gun violence before, since and on 12/14.
- Schedule Details
If you are planning on attending the NoMoreNames reading and/or helping to form the Human Ribbon of Remembrance at the Capitol tomorrow, please also join us for a press conference with key lawmakers at noon in the Capitol Visitor Center – Room SVC 201. Details and Schedule below:
A press conference and public demonstrations to mark the six-month anniversary of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and to demand congressional action on gun reform.
Speakers at the press conference will include:
• Jillian Soto, sister of Victoria Soto, who hid her students and then was shot and killed confronting the gunman in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown
• Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV)
• House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA)
• Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT)
• Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT)
• Rep. Elizabeth Esty (D-CT)
• Rep. Peter King (R-NY)
• Rep. Mike Thompson (D-CA)
Thursday, June 13, 2013
• 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Name-reading vigil observing the lives lost since the Newtown shooting (Outside the US Capitol Building, Zone 1)
• 12:00 p.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Press conference with key lawmakers (Capitol Visitor Center – SVC 201)
• 12:30 p.m. -1:00 p.m.: Formation of the “Ribbon of Remembrance”
• 1:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.: Resume name-reading vigil observing the lives lost since the Newtown shooting
How You Can Help
- Join us in Washington, D.C. to take part in these events.
- Sign up for the Thunderclap event.
- Tell your contacts about the Thunderclap event.
- Let the media know. Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper.
- Call, e-mail, fax, use Facebook and Twitter to let all representatives know that six months and no action is too long to wait for commonsense gun laws.
- Target Eric Cantor and John Boehner at the moment we hand-deliver our letter to them and demand that they listen to the majority voice of Americans who support universal background checks.