OCTOBER 6th, 8:30-5:00, REED INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL
The Newtown Foundation, PeaceJam New England and the Jr. Newtown Action Alliance have come together to offer Newtown Middle and High School students the opportunity to explore how one experience or event does not define who you are, or who you will become. Tragedy does not need to lead to despair. Instead, it can be transformed into the fuel for reaching toward new levels of positive change in your life and in your actions.
This Event Features:
• Family Groups: Small discussion groups facilitated by college age mentors who are trained through PeaceJam
• Keynote speaker: Edie Lutnik
• Team building Games: A combination of activities designed to build cooperation, community and show the strength and stability of community.
• We are pleased to announce that Ben’s Bells will be part of our Peace Jam event on October 6th. Ben’s Bells will be integrated into one of the hands on workshops that will take place as part of this event. We look forward to adding all of the positive energy and kindness that Ben’s Bells has brought to our community.
• Community projects:[clear] Newtown Youth Reaction to Conference at UCONN, April 6, 7 “In the past few months we have seen that when people learn that we are from Newtown, we often get responses that make the situation worse. The PeaceJam conference was the complete opposite from what we were afraid of. We all agreed on the way home that what made us feel truly at peace (the first time I have felt this way in more than 3 months) is the fact that 12/14 did not define us, it was simply a part of our stories. Many of our members who came had not yet opened up about the tragedy and when I saw them do so in front of dozens of kind and loving people, let’s just say it was a moment I’ll never forget. Thank you for showing us that we were welcome and safe and cared for.” [divider]
If your browser has trouble viewing the form below, try here